Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Art/Science of Cartography and GIS

I've often been asked the question "what is GIS?" In response my answer has always been "it's kinda like computer cartography." This is, however, somewhat of a misrepresentation.  The manipulation of cartographic data to create maps is surely a large part of working with GIS, but cartography and GIS are not synonyms, as the practice of working with GIS involves spatial analysis and assessment that is not inherent to the definition of cartography.  This week was dedicated to the exploring the principles of the art and science of cartography within the GIS framework- achieved by using GIS to manipulate cartographic data to create different maps of Mexico.



Above is a simple choropleth map of Mexico's population by state.  This map was easy enough to make, and is pretty self-explanatory- the states of Mexico are colored different shades according to their populations, with the ranges described by the legend.  The part that I got a little held up on was the selection of a color ramp for the population classes.  How does one select between different shades of reds, greens, purples, yellows, and every other color combination of the rainbow?!  My instinct for these kinds of choices has always been to pick whatever color scheme is aesthetically appealing to me personally, but, upon further reflection on this week's lectures and readings, this was probably not the most sensible course.  The colors shouldn't detract from the maps thematic content,  plain and simple.  The scheme above that I ultimately went with is (hopefully) subdued and appropriate.  The ancillary elements, including the north arrow, scale bar and legend, are small enough to not detract from the map's information, but are large enough to be legible and visibly present.  

I am hopeful that this lesson in cartographic style will serve to improve my map-making abilities, and that in the future I won't be tempted to create maps with what are probably garish and inappropriate color schemes.  Which I have admittedly done, because I am an unabashed fan of all things unreasonably gaudy and ostentatious.  Seriously, I love bright colors and glitter- but that affinity needn't translate to my professional and academic pursuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment